Welcome to my blog!

I am often asked for my favorite healthy recipes and have decided to share them here. All of the recipes use only whole grains and unrefined sweeteners. REAL FOODS! I love to eat healthy foods and I love to share my passion with others. I do not pretend to be an expert and I learn more every day. So, come in, look around, and hopefully you will find something you like!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

13 Bean Chili

I'm super excited to help Jessica out with her blog.  Although, I realized that at least for this recipe, I had to call her and get the recipe before I could put it on here.  So, who knows if I will actually help?  Here's hoping!
And so it begins.  I have been waiting and waiting for the weather to cool off so that I could make chili.  It's one of the best things on a cold day, don't you think?  
Well, you should. 

13 Bean Chili
3 cups dry beans (I used a 13 bean combo, but you can use 12, 15, whatever you can find)
5 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper (I'm sure you can use whatever color you prefer)

28 oz. can diced tomatoes
28 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can diced green chiles (optional)

1 TBSP chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Directions:
   Rinse beans and place in crock pot with water.  Cover crock pot, set to low and soak overnight.  In the morning, add the broth, garlic, onion, and bell pepper.  Turn to high and let sit for about 5 hours.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the beans are tender.  Serve it up with some cornbread and Enjoy!

P.S. I'm not as good as Jessica, and am addicted to dairy.  So, I sprinkled mine with a little cheese.  Plus, I think it looks cool in the picture :)




No comments:

Post a Comment